Historical monuments

Michal Tillner Museum in Malacky

The Municipal Museum in Malacky was founded in 1975 on the initiative of the academic painter Michal Tillner and was located in a renovated water mill building.
A new exposition was opened in 1993 and the museum is called the Michal Tillner Museum in Malacky. In 2000, based on the restitution of the building, the museum was evicted and the collections stored in the depository until 18 February 2006, when a new exhibition was opened in the building of the Municipal Center of Culture on Záhorácká Street. Collectibles are mostly ethnographic, to a lesser extent art objects and archival materials. The museum focuses its activities on expanding the collection, promotion, organization of lectures, discussions, exhibitions, research, publishing and publishing activities. The museum also manages the archives of J. V. Trebišovský.

The museum also includes an extended exposition - Crypts under the Franciscan Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary.

Address: Záhorácka street 1919, 901 01 Malacky

Opening Hours:
Mon - Fri: 9.00 - 12.00 a.m., 1.00 - 5.00 p.m.
Sat - Sun: tour possible to order at least one day in advance.

Admission to the museum: adult - 2 €, children, seniors - 1 €

We accept valid membership cards of the Association of Museums in Slovakia and the Association of Museums and Galleries of the Czech Republic.

Manor House

The Pálffy manor house in Malacky is a cultural and historical monument of national significance registered in the list of monuments. During its existence, it was the seat of an aristocratic family, a Franciscan boarding school, a military warehouse and a hospital. Since 2007, the manor house belongs to the city, which participates in its reconstruction and the possibility of further use. As part of the Paltour project, the left part of the front wing was reconstructed, where exhibition and seminar rooms were created. With the help of sponsors, the well in the courtyard, the entrance gate, the gate and the staircase with crystal chandeliers were reconstructed. In the renovated premises of the manor there is a Pálffy room with period furniture. Visitors can also see a permanent exhibition of photographs documenting the reconstruction of the manor. Various exhibitions take place in the exhibition spaces. The manor is surrounded by the original English park, part of which has been preserved to this day. At present, the manor is managed by the Malacky Municipal Culture Center. +41 34 772 21 10, or by e-mail: riaditel@mckmalacky.sk, info@mckmalacky.sk.

Opening Hours:

May - June 2022

Monday - Friday: Tours are provided for pre-reported groups (at least 1 day in advance). Tours in English or German must be booked at least 3 days in advance.

Saturday - Sunday: 1.00 - 5.00 p.m.


July - September 2022

Tuesday - Friday: 10.00 - 12.00 a.m., 2.00 - 5.00 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 1.00 - 5.00 p.m.


October - April 2022

Monday - Friday: Tours are provided for pre-reported groups (at least 1 day in advance). Tours in English or German must be booked at least 3 days in advance.

Saturday - Sunday: 1.00 - 5.00 p.m.


Due to quarantine measures, we will not accept orders - until further notice.


Address: Zámocká ul. 18, 901 01 Malacky

Contact:
Michal Tillner Museum: phone +421 34 772 21 10, e-mail: muzeum@mckmalacky.sk

Malacky Tourist Information Office: phone +421 34 772 20 55, +421 911 922 055, e-mail: info@tikmalacky.sk

Admission to the tour of the manor with an explanation: adults - € 3.00 children from 6 years, students, pensioners, disabled - € 2.00.

Church of the Holy Trinity

The parish church at the "Lower End" is one of the oldest preserved buildings in Malacky. It was built by Protestants with the strong support of the Balašov landowners. The single-nave building with a polygonal presbytery was built in the years 1574 - 1580 in the Renaissance style. In 1672, the tower was restored in the late Renaissance style. During the 18th century, the exterior and interior of the church were baroqued. The pulpit from the second half of the 17th century is one of the most valuable of the interior's sacred artistic monuments. The original main altar dates from 1755. In the center of the altar is a painted image of the Holy Trinity. The church has two side altars. The altar of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes and the altar of the Divine Heart of Jesus. Below the church is a crypt, which was not built under the nave of the church, but under the sacristy. Only one priest, Pavol Brankovič, was buried in this crypt.

Address: Záhorácka ul., 901 01 Malacky
Phone: + 421 34 381 19 09 - Roman Catholic Parish Office

Franciscan monastery and church

The sacral complex formed by the monastery, the church bordered by a wall with four bastions, is called the Black Monastery. The original color of the church was dark ash, resp. black. He was originally alone on the outskirts of Malaciek. After 1874, the surrounding buildings began to grow, surrounding the monastery wall. On the site of today's church and monastery, there used to be a water castle, later rebuilt into a hunting lodge, protected by a wall. It belonged to the Balass family. In the middle of the 17th century, the new landowner Paul IV. Pálffy had this building rebuilt into a monastery. The monastery had its own school. The grammar school, which operated here in the first half of the 20th century, was one of the most important schools in Czechoslovakia. An extensive collection of books was created in the monastery, including rare Latin originals from the 15th century. At present, the building houses the United School of St. Francis of Assisi.
Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The church consists of a baroque nave with side chapels, ending in front of the shrine. In the middle of the church on the wall on the right is the pulpit. Below the pulpit is the entrance to the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows and Mary Magdelena. Behind it is the Chapel of the Holy Stairs. The holy stairs are a copy of the stairs that Jerusalem went up to Pilate. At the back on the left side of the church is the entrance to the Loreto Chapel. In the middle is the Lourdes Chapel and next to it is the Holy Sepulcher - an architecturally valuable building created according to the Jerusalem original. In front is the "Pálffy Chapel". The Baroque main altar of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary from the beginning of the 18th century is a magnificent monument in the church. There are three more altars in the nave. On the left side of the sanctuary is the epitaph (tombstone) of the palatine of Nicholas V. Pálffy from 1741. The walls of the church were originally only bleached without decorations and paintings. The walls of the church got their present shape thanks to paintings from 1928. Under the nave and chapels on the left side, there are extensive underground burial grounds - crypts along the entire length of the church. Forty important members of the Pálffy family, Franciscans and wealthier inhabitants of the town and its surroundings are buried in them. The Pálffy funeral chapel is also a part of the burial ground.

Address: Kláštorné námestie 3, 901 01 Malacky
Phone: + 421 34 381 19 09 - Rímsko-katolícky farský úrad
Web: www.new.malacky.fara.sk

Kaplnka Svätých schodov

The Chapel of the Holy Stairs was built on the orders of Pavel Pálffy together with the monastery. The whole complex consists of two stairs separated by a wall and connected by an upper platform. There are twenty-seven stairs and they contain the relics of Saints Deteria, Valentine and Beatrix. Take the stairs to the left to the top of the knee. At this devotion, prayers are recited, and each stair is kissed before the entrance to the relics out of respect for the relics. The stairs on the right go down straight, there are no relics in them. The right staircase was not always in the chapel. It was built during the great reconstruction of this chapel in the years 1902 - 1903. By building the second staircase, a platform was created at the top, through which you can go from one staircase to another. There are two altars on the platform. The left one forms a cross with the Crucified and statues of the Virgin Mary and St. John at the sides of the cross. The real one is a statue of the flogged and thorn-crowned Christ. This altar is called Ecce homo - Alas, man. Alojz Veselý walled up the entrance to the chapel from the courtyard during a major reconstruction and was covered in the chapel with a new altar. In order for the chapel to be accessible from the church courtyard, a new entrance was pierced into it. The Chapel of the Holy Stairs has a lot of visitors thanks to the indulgences that believers can get here. 
The Chapel of the Holy Stairs is open daily before and during Mass from 6.30 am to 7.30 pm (Masses start Mon-Sat: at 7.00 am and 6.30 pm; Sun: at 7.00 am, 9.00 am, 11.30 am and 6.30 pm). If you are interested in visiting at another time, you must contact the parish office.

Address: Kláštorné námestie 3, 901 01 Malacky
Tel.: + 421 34 381 19 09 - Rímsko-katolícky farský úrad
Web: www.malacky.fara.sk

Crypts

The unique tourist attraction of Malaciek is the underground crypts under the old Franciscan Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Under the nave and chapels on the left, there are extensive underground burial grounds along the entire length of the church. Forty important members of the Pálffy family, Franciscans and wealthier inhabitants of the town and its surroundings are buried in them. In total, about 200 people rested in the crypts and were buried here from the 17th to the 19th century. A part of the burial ground is also the Pálffy funeral chapel, which was the side chapel of the church until the middle of the 19th century - the chapel of St. Anne. The crypts fell into disrepair during communism, and in 1992, local occultists entered the ancient burial ground several times. Today, the mysterious underground spaces have been reconstructed and together with the entrance chapel represent a unique museum exposition, which serves as a lapidary of historical statues from the town of Malacky and is complemented by interesting documentary material.

The crypts under the Franciscan Church can be visited by phone or e-mail at least one day in advance and with our confirmation.

Admission to the crypts: adult - 2 €, children, seniors - 1 €

Address: Kláštorné námestie 3, 901 01 Malacky
Phone: +421 34 772 21 10
e-mail: muzeum@mckmalacky.sk

Synagogue

The Malacky Synagogue has a rich history and high architectural value. It is located in the city center and is one of its dominants. The synagogue is built in the Moorish style, a rich ornamental stucco, a central element - an ark and a niche for storing Torah scrolls - have been preserved. Due to its value, the synagogue was included in the project of the Slovak Way of Jewish Cultural Heritage. According to data, the history of the Malacky Jewish religious community dates back to 1755, when there were ten Jews in Malacky. The village got its rabbi only after the establishment of the brick prayer house (1838). The first was Dr. Pissk. After 1867, there was also a rabbinate in Malacky, under the administration of which at least seven surrounding villages belonged at the time. The synagogue is built according to the project of architect Wilhelm Stiassny. The land under the building in Malacky was donated to the Jewish community by the wealthy and important Spitzer family for the construction of the synagogue. The builder of the synagogue in Malacky was the important Pálfi builder János Terebessy. However, the original synagogue was hit by fire on the night of July 18-19, 1889. A new (current) synagogue was established in a year. The basic features of the synagogue, like many synagogues, include the two Mosaic tablets (tablets) with the Hebrew text (the Ten Commandments). The preserved color scheme of the façade was a combination of dark brick and muted orange with oriental motifs, which together with the horizontal strips and ornaments above the arches of the windows completes the character of Moorish architecture. The synagogue has a central element of the "ark" in the east wall. Other preserved elements are the vestibule, the men's prayer room and the women's gallery. After 1945, the synagogue was used for secular purposes, in the 50s of the 20th century, the Jewish religious community sold the synagogue in the state of Malacky. The building has been used for cultural and social purposes since the 1980s. At present, the Elementary Art School in Malacky has an extended headquarters with a concert hall and an art studio there. The synagogue is accessible with a guide, you can order the tour at the Basic Art School, in person or at: riaditelka@zusmalacky.sk or on phone number +421 34/772 22 86. Please register at least one day in advance.

Address: Na brehu 2, 901 01 Malacky